The fifth meeting of BEREC’s expert working group on Mobile (Mobile EWG) was held last 20 November in Brussels.
The BEREC work plan for 2018 defined four projects within the scope of strategic priority 3 on enabling 5G and promoting innovation in network technologies:
- Best practices report on spectrum authorisation and award procedures with a view to considering their suitability for 5G;
- Report and common position on infrastructure sharing;
- Best practices report on coverage obligations with a view to considering their suitability for 5G;
- Common position on monitoring mobile coverage.
Mobile EWG is the working group responsible for the four above projects.
To prepare the work on mobile networks to be done in 2019, the group discussed a still internal questionnaire on very high capacity networks (VHCN), particularly the topics on the quality of service attainable by users of a mobile network with base stations linked by fibre. The aim of the work item is to define the criteria enabling identification of a network as a VHCN.
The report on spectrum authorisation and allocation procedures as well as on coverage, both old and with a view to the future, specifically 5G (resulting from Contact Network 4 (CN4)), was briefly considered at this meeting. Note that the report should be approved at the December 2018 plenary meeting, as there is no need to proceed to public consultation.
The version of the common position on infrastructure sharing resulting from CN4 was briefly discussed at this meeting and should be approved for public consultation at the plenary meeting to be held in December 2018.
The common position on mobile coverage monitoring has been evolving differently from what was originally envisaged; it is now called the common position on information to consumers on mobile coverage. The document was briefly discussed and should also be revised so it can be approved in the plenary meeting on 4 December 2018.
Ireland gave a presentation on the mobile user experience in Ireland, based on two studies they conducted on:
- Mobile handset performance (voice) https://www.comreg.ie/?dlm_download=mobile-handset-performance-voice;
- Effect of building materials on indoor mobile performance https://www.comreg.ie/publication/the-effect-of-building-materials-on-indoor-mobile-performance/.