Postal traffic in Portugal falls in 3rd quarter but revenues rise

In 3rd quarter 2017, total traffic from postal services in Portugal totalled about 179.1 million objects, falling by 7.1% versus 3rd quarter 2016. Despite this decline, revenues from postal services increased by 0.7%, rising to 152 million euros. Traffic from postal parcels made up 27% of total revenues versus 26.4% in the same period of 2016.

Average revenue per item increased by 8.4% versus 3rd quarter 2016.

Objects distributed to the national market made up 95.5% of the total, while the remaining 4.5% were distributed to other countries. About 79.2% of postal traffic was made up of correspondence, 7.3% editorial mail and 7.9% direct mail. Postal parcels, making up 5.6% of total traffic, increased by 5.1% compared to the previous quarter and by 0.5% compared to 3rd quarter 2016.

Universal postal service traffic, which represents 84.1% of total traffic, decreased by 8.5% from the same period of 2016.

On average, each inhabitant sent 17.4 postal items in the 3rd quarter, 1.3 fewer items per capita compared to 3rd quarter 2016.

Grupo CTT retained a share of 91.7% of total postal traffic.

In terms of material resources used in the provision of postal services, the number of access points increased by 0.6%, while the number of distribution centres decreased by 0.2% and the vehicle fleet shrank by 1.2%.

Infographic of postal services - Traffic

Infographic of postal services - Traffic

Infographic of postal services - Revenues and resources

Infographic of postal services - revenues and resources

Consult the statistical report: