Avoiding surprises in bills for communications services was the subject of the "Consumer Tips" column published on 24 October in Portuguese newspaper Jornal de Notícias, enhancing the information made available to consumers on specific sector issues.
Avoid surprises in bills for communications services.
- Some tariffs include free calls to fixed numbers (numbers starting in 2 and, in case of some providers, starting in 3). Numbers starting in 7 (e.g.: 760) have increased costs and are not included in these tariffs. Numbers starting with 601, 607, 608, 646 and 648 also have higher costs, but should be barred by default.
- Discounts and price reductions may be temporary. When these discounts end, your bill may go up.
- Contact your provider to find out how to block certain services or how to access functions which control consumption.
- Make sure your provider is charging you correctly for the services you are receiving; check bills against the terms of your contract, which should include details of pricing applied to your services and specify how you can obtain updated information on all applicable tariffs and maintenance charges.
- If you do not agree with the amount of a bill, you have the right to only pay the amount you consider to be correct. Then, if you are unable to reach an agreement with your provider, refer to a Centro de Arbitragem de Conflitos de Consumo (Consumer Disputes Arbitration Centre) - you can choose which one.