A consultation meeting on international roaming was held last 15-16 September in Geneva. ANACOM took part in the gathering at the invitation of the Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT), as representative of the Association of Communications and Telecommunications Regulators of the Community of Portuguese Language Countries (ARCT-CPLP), given that ANACOM chairs the ARCTEL-CPLP working group on international roaming.
The meeting enabled regulators, consumer associations, international and regional organisations and operators to share their respective experience.
Various organisations besides ARCTEL-CPLP were among the participants, including:
- Body of European Regulators for Electronic Communications (BEREC);
- Arab Regulators Network (AREGNET);
- African Telecommunications Union (ATU);
- Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC);
- International Telecommunications Users Group (INTUG);
- Telecommunications Council (SAMENA).
In its presentation ARCTEL-CPLP described results of the questionnaires sent to CPLP operators in 2015 as part of a survey on rates and traffic (retail and wholesale) involved in the provision of international roaming service in the CPLP space. Information was also provided regarding several recent developments relevant for the ARCTEL-CPLP working group on international roaming, such as:
- the group’s meeting in São Tomé and Príncipe in February of this year;
- the meeting of CPLP ministers last 19 August in Maputo.