In 2nd quarter 2016, total traffic from postal services in Portugal totalled about 209.2 million items, increasing 0.5% versus 2nd quarter 2015, representing the first increase in postal traffic in year-on-year terms since 2008. Postal parcels, with a year-on-year increase of 3.7%, and correspondence with an increase of 1.1%, were the main drivers of this growth.
About 79% of postal traffic comprises correspondence, 7.1% comprises Editorial Mail and 9.2% Direct Mail. In year-on-year terms, correspondence and direct mail increased by 1.1% and 0.4%, respectively, while editorial mail declined by 7.3%. Parcels, increasing by 2.6% year-on-year to represent 4.7% of total traffic, were the only traffic component which increased in the 2nd quarter (+5.4%)
During the quarter, an average of 20.2 postal items were sent per capita.
Traffic included within the scope of the universal service represented 85.8% of total postal traffic, 0.3% more than in the same period of 2015.
Items distributed to the national market made up 96.4% of the total, while the remaining 3.6% were distributed to other countries.
At the end of the quarter, Grupo CTT had a share of 93.6% of total postal traffic.
In the 2nd quarter, revenues from postal services (excluding incoming traffic) totalled 160.1 million euros, a reduction of 0.8% compared to the same period of 2015. Correspondence, making up 69.4% of total revenues, and parcels with 23.6%, were the main generators of revenues.
As at the end of June, there were 14.7 thousand people employed in the operation of postal services – a reduction of 0.1% compared to June 2015.
Consult the statistical report:
- Postal services - 2nd quarter 2016 https://www.anacom.pt/render.jsp?contentId=1395591