Postal traffic in Portugal rises 3.8% in 1st quarter

In the 1st quarter 2016, total traffic from postal services increased by 3.8% over the previous quarter (rising to 219, 9 million objects), but recorded a year-on-year decline of 3.6%. About 86.6% of traffic was covered by the universal service.

Objects distributed to the national market made up 96.9% of the total, while the remaining 3.1% were distributed to other countries.

Total postal traffic was made up 79.5% of correspondence, 7.3% of editorial mail and 8.9% direct mail. Parcels represented 4.3% of total traffic and increased by 2.6% year-on-year.

At the end of the quarter, Grupo CTT had a share of 94.6% of total postal traffic.

In 1Q16, revenues from postal services totalled 163.5 million euros, declining 2.4% from the same period of 2015. Correspondence accounted for 70% of revenues, parcels for 22%, and editorial mail and direct mail account for the remaining 8%.

As at the end of March, postal items were reported at 21.2 items per capita, and there were 14 thousand people employed in the operation of postal services, 0.6% than in the same period of 2015.

The number of postal network access points increased by 2.6% year-on-year. The number of distribution centres and the vehicle fleet decreased by 1.2% and 0.1%, respectively.

Consult the statistical report: