Postal traffic falls 4.7% in the 3rd quarter but average revenue per item rises 1.4%

Data collected in respect of 3rd quarter 2015 indicates that total traffic from postal services in Portugal declined by 4.7% compared to the previous quarter, falling below 200 million items for the first time since these indicators were first compiled (falling to about 198.2 million items). Compared to 3rd quarter 2014, postal traffic services in Portugal fell by 5%.

About 87.5% of traffic is reported within the limits of universal service. Universal service traffic reports a decrease of 2.9% from the previous quarter and 5% year-on-year.

Items distributed to the national market made up 95.7% of the total, while the remaining 4.3% were distributed to other countries. About 80.4% of postal traffic comprises correspondence, 7.5% comprises Editorial Mail and 7.3% Direct Mail. Postal parcels made up 4.9% of total traffic, increasing 2.3% over the quarter and 0.6% year-on-year.

In the 3rd quarter, revenues from postal services totalled 156 million euros, reflecting a year-on-year decline of 3.8%. Average revenue per item increased 1.4% versus the previous quarter and increased 1.2% versus 3rd quarter 2014.

Grupo CTT reported a share of 94.6% of total postal traffic and 34.8% of traffic in the express segment (liberalized since 1999). 19.1 postal items were sent per capita during the period being reported.

During the quarter, the number of postal network access points increased by 3.8% and there were 14.7 people employed in the operation of postal services. The trend in the number of people employed in the sector has been declining, although the reduction in employment lags the reduction of traffic occurring over the same period.

Consult the statistical report: